At the heart of nature

The Linde Research Station – located in the middle of the western Havel region between the cities of Brandenburg, Nauen and Rathenow with arable land and, above all, forest areas – forms the natural centre of the natural science research projects we support. Here we offer students and doctoral candidates optimum conditions for their research. At the same time, if required, we are happy to make the foundation’s own land available for comparative purposes within scientific field projects carried out elsewhere.

The Linde research station’s location on the edge of a nature reserve, four furnished studios and a small laboratory help to ensure that young scientists can concentrate fully on their fieldwork.

Linde in the course of time

Gutshof

The eventful past of the former Linde estate is a reflection of recent German history. Already recorded on maps of the Havelland region in the 19th century, the country castle and former manor “Dominium Linde” came into the possession of our founder’s family in 1919. She had to leave Germany in 1939 and survived the Second World War abroad.

War and destruction

alte-Scheune

The Second World War, the subsequent occupation and also the time in the GDR had not left Linde untouched: The old manor house had been destroyed except for one extension, the other former manor buildings had changed a lot over the decades and new so-called dacha plots had been added, which had to be respected.

New start as a research station

Forschungsstation-Linde

After the retransfer of the property, the question arose as to how the property should be used in the future. The resumption of an independent farming business was no longer an option. But nature with its charming landscape was largely intact and the forests were in good condition. As our donor was a biologist herself, the idea was born to make the former Linde estate available for research and teaching.

Thus, a small research station with accommodation and a laboratory for students, doctoral students and lecturers was created in the old manor core. The seminar room is ideal for scientific lectures, workshops or discussion groups.